The German artist burbled on about a series of photographs he took of models made by the architect, John Lautner (1911-94).
As he spoke, a selection of Lautner's private letters and other ephemera held by the Getty Research Institute (GRI) in Los Angeles were beamed onto the wall. Hence the odd snippets of information from Lautner's life:
- "Do I have to give up brie?"
- "I married a Mexican after my second wife died."(2)
- "The magic is reality. Therefore there is no reality."
The same fate will not befall Mr Demand's own maquettes: he destroys them, thus preventing some future artist from demand-ing that they be co-opted into their own practice.
(1) "Thomas Demand in Conversation with Joseph Grima", Nottingham Contemporary, 12th April 2012.
(2) This appears to have been his caretaker, Francesca Hernandez.